Chocolate Hazelnut Spread revisited

While shopping for peanut butter at Kroger, I noticed a small jar of Nutella. Then I noticed a small jar of Kroger brand Hazelnut spread. I gave the label a look, and was shocked to find that the Kroger brand jar label said "Product of Italy."

Could it be that the whole Italian chocolate hazelnut spread vs. German/Swiss/French/Canadian chocolate hazelnut spread taste issue could be resolved? Tonight? In my home? This was just too exciting.

I proceeded to go home and get out two spoons each. Next, the children and I took turns closing our eyes and spooning in #1 and #2 into each other's mouths. Pausing, reflecting on the taste, and picking our favorite. Results - hard to discriminate - but the Kroger brand Italian product left a deeper hazelnut aftertaste which I really appreciated. Kroger brand also started with a strong chocolate taste. It ended up being 50-50, so we'll have to leave it to others to declare a clear winner.

I'll have to see how the Kroger ages - because freshly opened, the Kroger brand is smoother and creamier. As the Nutella ages, it gets stiff in the jar. I'll let you know. For now, it's a chocolate hazelnut appreciation party at my house.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scratchy throat?

Euro - USD - Euro - USD

Velib Paris