Greet your shopkeepers

Tip of the Day: Greet shopkeepers in Europe.

Let's say you are headed into a shop on your vacation. It's a bit different culture and I'd like to teach you the etiquette of entering a shop in Europe (EVEN if you don't speak the language!).

Walk in, look up for the shopkeeper or sales clerk, make eye contact, and (if they are available) issue a smile, a greeting in their language or hello (which I think is universally understood).

Bonjour in France is sung in a beautiful way and it won't take you long to catch on and repeat. My daughter said it sounds like a doorbell - like ding dong (up down type of sing song), try it now : bon joor. Easy, no? My heart skips when I sing bonjour. It's so fun. Go in the bathroom before you leave where no one can hear you and practice. Get comfortable, try it out, throw it out there when in France - it doesn't have to be perfect - believe me. Italy: Buon Giorno (for good morning).

Now - what is the difference with the shopkeeper greeting in the States and in Europe? Well, in America sometimes I don't want to make eye contact - because that could signal that I want help and prompt the sales clerk to physically approach me and ask "May I help you?" Then, I, with a bit of awkwardness reply, "No thank you, I am just looking today."

In Europe you don't have to worry about the "may I help you" swarm. Hooray. You can make smile and greet and look around and chat and relax and pretend you have just walked in to your best old friend's cottage with your heart wide open. Enjoy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scratchy throat?

Euro - USD - Euro - USD

Velib Paris