Minimizing Jet lag

Tip of the day: Minimize jet lag by sleeping 6 hours on your transatlantic flight to Europe.

The tricks -
on the flight:
1. eat your dinner, then prepare for sleep. Shut out light with a sleep or siesta mask.
2. shut out noise with earplugs.
3. make your neck/head comfortable with even the goofiest looking travel pillow that works for you.
4. use a prescription short acting sleep aid (if you are comfortable with this suggestion).
5. drink plenty of water when you wake up
upon arrival in Europe:
1. stay up all day
2. let light into your eyes by walking outdoors without sunglasses
3. eat meals on European time

When I made my first jaunts to Europe in my 20's, I received jet lag advice from a friend - a psychobiologist and sleep expert at the National Institutes of Health. I'm still following the advice and a few years later, ahem, I got off the plane ready to spend a full day in Amsterdam. Yes, we were tired and ready for bed that night - but staying up the first full day was possible because we had everything we needed to conk out on that flight overseas. It works.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scratchy throat?

Euro - USD - Euro - USD

Velib Paris