Velib Paris

Tip of the day: To see Paris by bicycle, get a credit card with a chip
I had heard about the Paris Velib bicycle system on a radio show and was eager to try it out. http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=14429468. This bicycle system was attributed with making Paris more friendly.

The Velib bikes stood out and could not be missed - long racks of bicycles near the great tourist destinations, Parisians picking up bikes, dropping them off at the racks, tourists and citizens riding around the city.

At this point I was ready give my feet a rest and cover some ground on a bike.

We looked bewilderedly at the rental kiosk at the rack we happened upon. Then a kind citizen gave a half hour explanation (in French) to Kurt -our Swiss travel companion, guide, friend, and linguist.

Kurt said "she tells me you need to have a chip in your credit card to place the deposit on the bicycle." Air rushes out leaving me deflated like a balloon smashed empty on the sidewalk.

But wait, Kurt then says "I have a chip in my credit card." OH, glorious day. My dream WILL come true. Did you know European credit cards (smart cards) have a chip in them?

Well, the New York Times wrote an article that I just discovered that tells how their American reporter rented a bike in Paris using the American Express Blue (with chip).

So the tip of the day is prepare for your trip with a chip if you want to see some of Paris on a bike. And stay tuned for more adventures in Paris on bike....

Photo by Nika

Note: you do not have to be a blogger member to comment! And you can comment anonymously.

Comments

Post a Comment

Your comments are so welcome!

Popular posts from this blog

Scratchy throat?

Euro - USD - Euro - USD